Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Saturday 19 December 2015

A Tale of Two Managers

These incidences happened during the early 60s 

That was when offices in Powai used to work for half-day on Saturday

On one such Saturday , my wife Bharati and some of my friends decided to visit Powai Gardens for a picnic

In those days , the Main Gate of the garden was right opposite our Gate # 1

Having reached Powai garden , a friend in the group said :

While we are here , why don't we visit L&T factory and see what Parekh is doing ?

Of course , the watchman at the gate said , they needed permission from Mr KSS Mani , who happened to be the Administrative Manager at Powai

So Bharati rang me up from the gate and asked whether I could get the required permission

I walked over to KSS's cabin and explained the background ( Powai Picnic ) and asked for his permission for my friends / wife to come inside

KSS said:

" Sorry , company rules do not allow for families to visit the employees while at work ; nor visit any part of the factory "

After considerable persuasion , he agreed to admit 2 visitors at a time

After visit , when those 2 returned to the gate , another 2 can come in  !

When I conveyed this decision to my wife , she refused to accept such an " invite "  !

The friends waited in the garden till the offices closed and I could join them

A few years later , my parents were visiting me in Mumbai 

My father wanted to see where I work and asked if they could accompany me to Powai , one of these days

I mentioned this to my boss, Bjorn Petersen

He said : " Of course , please bring them to my office when they are here "

So , when they arrived , I took them to BjP's cabin

He welcomed them and promptly offered them some tea !

After tea , I told BjP that I will like to show them around the factory

BjP said :

" Parekh ,

  You carry on with your work

  I will show your parents around PSW and the rest of Powai "

Some years later , when I had  job offer for the position of Production Manager in the Switchgear factory of Siemens , my father recalled his visit to Powai and said,

"  Son , Will your German boss in Siemens be as nice as Petersen ? "

Many years later , when I was GM - Powai , someone had introduced a system of Powai visits by families of employees , once a month 

On a few of these visits , I showed the families around Powai Estate

On a number of such visits , I used to meet the family members in the Conference hall , for a cup of tea




1 comment:

  1. Well. One struck to the rules made by someone; later someone else made the rules.

    ReplyDelete