Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Thursday 17 December 2015

On Merits Only

( Contributor  :  hcp  )
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At some time or other , many of us received from our seniors , bio-datas ( that was before we started calling these , " Resumes " ) of candidates looking for jobs in L&T

Invariably , the senders scribbled on those papers :

"  To be considered on merits only "

I am reminded of one time when Mr Holck Larsen ( HHL ) sent me an application from a young girl , for a job in Christensen Longyear ( CLIL )

It seems , her father was a musician who lived on Madh Island , where HHL had a week-end residence . HHL knew this poor jobless man , who had 6/7 children and struggled to feed his family

I sent the application to G J Sampat ( GJS ) , who was Production Manager for Bit Plant

GJS and AMD ( A M Deshmukh , who looked after Madh personnel matters ) interviewed this girl , who claimed she had passed SSC but did not attach a copy of her SSC mark sheet , by way of proof

When she promised to produce it in course of time , AMD issued her an appointment letter

When she failed to produce it despite several reminders over the next few weeks , AMD visited her school in Madh

School principal said , she had never appeared for SSC exam  !

As far as her work was concerned , GJS was quite happy

But L&T rules required that , even for an Unskilled position , applicants must have passed SSC

When this was brought to my notice , I phoned Mrs M L Tavares ( HHL's secretary ) and asked her to let me speak with HHL

When I narrated the background to HHL , he simply said :

"  Parekh , let her go ! "

Incidentally , I do not know how many of you are aware what caused the introduction of the following rule in L&T :

No son / daughter of an L&T employee ( who is at a level of DGM or above ), can be employed in L&T , no matter how meritorious 

This came about when Mr S K Toubro's son desired to join L&T

Must be late 50s 

That is when HHL and SKT , introduced that rule , to ensure that there was no nepotism in L&T

I hope this rule still holds   

  


No comments:

Post a Comment