Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 8 December 2015

Presentation Skills

Presentation Skills

(  Contributor  :  H R Shenoy )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sometime in 1993, VH Iyer brought some Materials Management guys attending some training program to Powai and asked me to explain our systems to them.


I had full knowledge of the system but zero presentation skills.  I completed the presentation in one or two sentences and told them to ask questions.


I was so embarrassed by my inability that I vowed to myself to develop.

The opportunity came soon, courtesy Mr VS Shiroor to whom I was reporting to from 1.4.1981 till 29.4.2000 – in the department named Data Processing Section, later upgraded to Switchgear Information Systems.


In 90s, NITIE at Powai used to conduct Materials Management Training Program, duration being 5 days.  L&T PSW were allotted some 3 hour slot to explain our systems, by far the best in the industry as far as I am aware.  Mr Shiroor made one or two presentations.


When he had an opportunity to make the next one, I requested him to allow me to accompany him as an observer, to which he readily agreed.


The next time such the opportunity came I asked him “Can you allow me to take this session?”  Without hesitation, he did.  I did a wonderful job; I did not mess up like the first time.


I also told Mr Shiroor one more thing.  “I know they offer an honorarium (it was some Rs 300 for the 3 hour session).  Apart from the experience of developing presentation skills, I need that extra money too (all 3 children were studying engineering at various stages at that time)”.


For the next 5 years or so, I did those presentations and earned those few extra bucks.


An unforgettable generosity on the part of Mr Shiroor – one of the many !


HR Shenoy, 


7666128505


Co-Founder, Tejora Technologies Limited, tejora.com

No comments:

Post a Comment