Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Friday 4 March 2016

Office Stationary & Reimbursement

Contributor  :  KN

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Office Stationary & Reimbursement

We were given a Ration Card like card, called Stationary Card, when we joined L&T. We were expected to show the card and collect monthly quota – a ruled pad, HB Pencil (yellow with Larsen & Toubro 
embossed on it), pencil eraser, ball point refill, Royal Blue Ink bottle, duster, etc.

No pencil sharpeners. A fist sized machine is fixed to a table centrally, where we were to sharpen our pencils.

For replenishment, we had to show empty refill, worn out eraser, pencil butts, completely used ruled pad, empty ink bottle.

On hindsight, it looks silly. But those were days of controls and restrictions.

We had a group of 3 in SPE, - K D Elavia, Usman Mir Abdul Razzak, K T Shahane - who controlled all these and invariably made fun of (ragging?) new comers

I don’t know where they are now, but I still remember them for one incident.

We are required to fill a printed form called EC (Encashment Chit?) for miscellaneous expenses like conveyance, lunch allowance, stationary etc. on office work, get approved and collect cash from the Cashier.

One day the above ‘trimurtis’ had almost convinced me to fill an EC and attach Cinema Tickets for reimbursement. My wisdom prevailed and I was saved from big embarrassment.  Otherwise, I would have had to seek employment at some Cinema Theatres.

Note from HRS:  EC was also known as Executive Chit, as far as I know.  KD Elavia was the funniest ‘bawa’ I had known.  Usman Mir Abdul Razak (not many people knew his full name) was last with Plant Engineering Department (PD Desai may know more).

As to stationary control, many people had mastered the art of bypassing controls (including me?).  I had totally forgotten about this control system in the early years.  I had forgotten about KDE too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corporate  Culture :

Love for details / Cost Consciousness  / Tendency  to  control small expenses 


No comments:

Post a Comment